Sunday, January 21, 2007

Vacation in India & Abroad ?!

I started this blog based on my own comment on my blog "My Voyage"

Preamble: My Friend Seeni asked this question to my previous blog My Voyage “When in India we don’t worry or plan much about visiting various places. But when in abroad or any foreign country we tend to plan to visit various places. Why?

Seeni, Your question doesn’t have one single line answer. Multiple factor decides a person to go for vacation irrespective of India or Abroad.

1. In India, When ever there is a long week end, I prefer to make visit to my home, since most of the time I worked outside my home town. The same situation applicable to most of us. (Overnight journey will make me to reach my home). But of course I have done lots of one day trip to nearby localities, but not like a trip that one can plan in abroad.

2. When you stay outside your home town, you are totally isolated from your family, so you have left with two options, stay home and watch TV, cinema, house keeping or go out for a vacation. So going out for a vacation is predominantly common when you are away from home. (Probably travel time greater than overnight journey). When I was at Bombay, I was planning for lonawala, kandala, matherang but dropped because of weather condition. The only long distance trip which I made in India is Trip to Goa. (That was awesome, I am still longing for such trip)

3. Travel cost, Safety& affordability factor also plays a crucial role. I think US; Canada & Europe are pretty safe which makes visitors to feel they are safe.

4. Infrastructure of a country plays a vital role. Europe is well connected by trains and US/Canada is well connected by Air and Roads. Driving in US/Canada is easy which makes planning a trip easier. You get cheap tickets if you have patience and book in advance. Now India is catching up on this.

5. In Abroad, One can plan a trip in <10 minutes due to online booking system. All
hotels, rentals, airlines, destinations are well integrated and one can shop all @ one place.

6. In Abroad, we get holidays on Thanks Giving, Christmas, Labor day, Independence Day etc we don’t celebrate any of these occasions, so we make these holidays for vacation but back in India Pongal and Diwali are major festival and we prefer celebrating the occasion at home rather visiting places.

7. Most influencing factor is holidays and week ends are completely yours @ abroad.Convenience, Infrastructure, Affordability, Safety, One source information, Economics, Tourism Infrastructure and Individual Mental/Energy Level etc decides a person to go on for a vacation irrespective of India or Abroad.

Is this true, what’s your say ?

7 comments:

Seenivasan said...

Like Hutch....where ever you go I will follow you.

First one to comment. :)

Arasan said...

hahaha, thanks for your comment seeni.

Baranidharan said...

Arasa, you have covered most of the aspects.One thing I like to add is reluctance when it is available. I never went to Alagar kovil when I was in Madurai. After 3 years I went to the temple for a holiday. Pretty weird huh. I went to florida with in 3 months of my visit to US. But I went to statue of liberty after 3 years but it was available and near my house.

Other things are information is available is US and europe to visit and you can plan easily by your own. I cannot imagine out of state of vacation in India with out travel agent or some friends over there.

Good coverage. Kuddos.

What is this word verification it sucks

Arasan said...

Thanks Barani, reluctance thats one of the key factor, When I was about leave NJ, I visited statue of liberty & Empire State.

Also Times Square will be a classic example in your case. It took nearly 6 years for you to celebrate New Year @ Times Square :)-

Seenivasan said...

Yeah that reminds me of a historical place in my home town where i was born and brought up. I never visited until I got into college. Only when my friends came to my house I took them to that plaec...and whenever my friends came to my home I took them there.

That's the rock fort that i m talking about.

Siva said...

@ seeni , you took me to that fort atleast twice , may be thrice :-)

Arasan said...

I dont have a count, but every time I visit his home town, he took me there without fail :(-